Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I've done it again...

Hey y'all!!

 I've done it again...been too lazy/undisciplined to update my blog. I don't know why I can't make myself sit down and do it...probably my ADHD (haha I like to blame everything on my ADHD although that's literally the reason for my issues).

Anyways...

Running. It has been majorly kicking my hiney these days. I don't know what is wrong with me! Every run seems to be a huge struggle for me. It is leaving me feeling so defeated and making my runs even worse.

I have also been ridiculously busy with school--as some of you may know, I'm currently in PA school at Wake Forest--and it has been so hard to get motivated to come home from school and go running when I'm trying to learn everything (literally) about the human body and what goes wrong with it. Four or five weeks back we finished up our second unit of exams and then had a week vacation during which I ran...not once. Pathetic!

However, when we got back to school, I started slowly getting back into gear and did my first race! It was a 5K called Moonlight Madness here in Winston-Salem. My mom came into town to run it with me and my boyfriend Joe also did the race. We had a great time. Since the race was under the harvest moon and started at 8pm, everyone was wearing neon and glow sticks (which I am obsessed with) and the energy was just awesome. The route was really really hard, I mean the entire thing--okay except maybe the first 1/2 mile--was uphill. I don't even know how they managed to accomplish that. We did get to run through Old Salem which was pretty cool and there was a band at the finish line with free pizza and beer (who can say no to that) so it ended up being a pretty good time. I'm just happy I got my first "race" out of the way. My Mom and I ran 10:30 minute miles which wasn't too terrible and Joe ran ahead of us and did something crazy like 7-8 minute miles. I can't even fathom running that quickly.

Since the race, Joe and I have pretty much stayed with running 3+ miles for every run that we've done and it's been okay. I won't lie I have definitely been struggling on my runs and I get extremely frustrated with myself because I started this whole process at the end of April and I feel like I should be much farther along. I'm trying not to judge myself too harshly and remember that my ultimate goal is a marathon and there are DEFINITELY going to be a lot of ups and downs along the way, but it's still pretty damn impressive that I'm doing this at all.

I just keep trying to remember why I wanted to do this in the first place and how amazing it will feel to cross that finish line knowing that there are so many people in the world who are unable to do so.

That's all for now, I'll try to do better friends, I promise--PMC

2 comments:

  1. Paige, how is your marathon training going? I was thinking about you the other day as Matt & I have started training for a half-marathon. Have you figured out which marathon you're going to make your first? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily! Marathon training is basically at a standstill. I just posted again (thanks to your comment helping me realize that I need to get my butt into gear). I was planning on doing the Marine Corps Marathon in DC, but I believe it just became a lottery-so my mom and I have been thinking about doing the Chicago marathon. What 1/2 are you and Matt doing? Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete